1959: 86th Congress, First Session
MUSKIE, EDMUND S. (a Senator from Maine)
- Jackson Day dinner, Springfield, Mo., by, 3469.
- Jackson Day dinner, Senator Symington, at Jefferson Jackson Day dinner, Rockland, Maine, 12757.
- Jackson Day dinner, Tennessee Municipal League, by, 9380.
- Appointed on committee, 671.
- Appointed conferee, 8931.
- Admiral Peary, Pole Discoverer, by Steve Riley In the Portland Telegram, 5425.
- Admiral Peary, Pole Discoverer: Glory That Led But to the Grave; Tribute to the Late
- Commodore Samuel Tucker, by Earle W. Gage in the National Republic publication, A5780.
- Commodore Samuel Tucker: Peary's Arctic Trip, by Daniel Rapoport in the Portland Telegram, 5425.
- Commendations in the Senate, 15654.
- Credentials, 5.
- Letter: cane and bushberry crop reports, to Senator Morse, from, 9563.
- Letter: oil imports, to the President, from, 10503.
- Letter: Reginald H. Sturtevant, entitled "Get Understanding" relative to relationship of United States with other nations, A3836.
- Memorandum: bank merger bill, views of Senators Douglas, Clark, Proxmire, and Muskie, 8127.
- Oath of office, 6
- Admiral Peary memorial ceremony, by Robert E. Peary, Jr., 5424.
- Admiral Peary memorial ceremony: Intergovernmental Relations Commission, committee testimony by Meyer Kestnbaum, 18943.
- Resolution: Federal-State relations, by the Governors' Conference, San Juan, P.R., 18940.
Amendments offered by, to
- Bank merger bill (S. 1062): to amend, 8140.
- Corporate and excise tax extensions (H.R. 7523): to amend, 11897.
- Federal school construction (S. 8) : to amend, 19688.
- Mutual security appropriations (H.R. 8385): to amend, 19305.
- Mutual security bill (S. 1451): to amend, 9954.
Bills and joint resolutions introduced by
- Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations: establish (see bill S.2026),8733.
- Blind persons: establish commission t study problems related to (see bill S.2077), 9220.
- Commission on a Department of Science and Technology: establish (see bill S.1851), 7404.
- Commission on Unemployment Problems establish (see bill S. 1631). 5485.
- Coolidge, Osvaldo R.: for relief (see bi S. 2164), 10591.
- Department of Agriculture and land-grant colleges: centennial celebration (see S. Res. 66), 3291.
- Department of Science and Technology create (see bill S. 676), 1177.
- Education: Federal aid to States for (see bill S. 2), 790.
- Electors of Federal officials: amend Constitution relative to qualifications of (se S.J. Res. 126), 16309.
- Federal Reserve Act: amend relative to real estate loans (see bill S. 1173, 1174), 2977.
- Fishing vessels: provide assistance In construction of (see bill S. 1374), 3813.
- Hawaiian statehood bill (see S. 50), 228.
- Higher education student loans: Federal insurance on (see bill S. 2710), 19409.
- Internal Revenue Code of 1954: amend relative to certain State tax refunds on distilled spirits and wine (see bill S 2604),17113.
- Internal Revenue Code: amend to prohibit deductions of certain business expenses (see bill S. 2G40),8734.
- Interstate Highway System: extend time for approval of cost estimates (see bill S. 1826), 6959.
- Medical research: mobilize world leaders in (see S.J. Res. 41), 1495.
- National Economic Council for Security and Progress: establish (see bill S. 2080) 9804.
- Petroleum and petroleum products: rescind action imposing quotas on (see bill S. 1525), 5136.
- President and Vice President: amend Constitution relative to election of (see S.J Res. 86), 7620.
- Public lands: amend act relating to withdrawals from (see bill S. 2587), 18108
- Small Business Act: amend to require publication of Government procurement solicitation (see bill S. 2469), 13338 14666.
- Unemployment: alleviate conditions in certain areas (see bill S. 722), 1171.
- Unemployment insurance: grants to States (see bill S. 791), 1316.
- Urban renewal: amend laws relating to (see bill S. 193), 790.
- Veterans: amend code relative to NSLI policies (see bill S. 1113), 2629.
- Veterans: period for granting national service life insurance to certain (see bill S 2675),18875.
Motions and resolutions offered by
- American Dental Association: congratulations on anniversary (see S. Con. Res 7),1259.
- American working men and women: tribute to (see S. Con. Res. 76), 18313.
- FNMA mortgage exchange policy: not in national interest (see S. Res. 130), 10088
- Frost, Robert: extend birthday greetings to (see S. Res. 95), 5162.
- Health and research activities: strengthen world cooperation (see S. Res. 129) 10735.
- Joint Committee on a National Fuels Policy: create (see S. Con. Res. 73) 16869.
- Standing Rules of the Senate: amend relative to selection of conference committees (see S. Res. 118). 7970
- Steel strike: favoring action by President in settlement of (see S. Con. Res. 69), 15595.
- White Fleet of Aid and Mercy: establish (see S. Con. Res. 66), 14270.
Remarks by, on
- Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental relations: create, 8734, 18940-18946, 19305.
- Des Plaines Refuge Area: land conveyance, 14595-15502, 15638, 15640, 15641, 15643, 15644,15649,15652.
- Distilled spirits destroyed by fire: tax refunds to States, 17113.
- Federal-State relations, 8734.
- Harpers Perry National Monument: additional land acquisition, 18876.
- Housing improvements bill: veto message, 13469.
- Lighthouse Service pay bill, 19049.
- McGee, Gale W.: commendation, 2746.
- North Pole discovery: 50th anniversary, 5424.
- Peary, Adm. Robert U.: North Pole discoverer, 5424.
- Polish women subjected to Nazi medical experiments, 8458.
- Ravensbrueck Lapins, 8458, 8459.
- Wood molding imports, 16728.
Reports made by, from
- Committee on Banking and Currency, 13156.
- Committee of conference, 19305.
- Committee on Government Operations, 14039, 14269.
Votes of. See YEA-AND-NAY Votes.